Fixed Spool Casting Reels

Use this section for all your reel questions
dinglecodcatcher
Obsessed Poster

Fixed Spool Casting Reels

Postby dinglecodcatcher » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm getting myself a new Yuki Q6 and I'm after a really good fixed spool casting reel to go with it.

Has anybody got one of these rods? If so what reels do they have to suit?

What distance casting reels do you recommend?

Flounder, Dab, Cod, Whiting, Dogfish, Octopus, Thornback Ray, Bass, Smoothie

tatch1
Obsessed Poster

Re: Fixed Spool Casting Reels

Postby tatch1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:21 pm

I Would be having a daiwa tournament st6000 excellent long casting reels cost a bit but worth every penny

Shacky
Team BLAS

Postby Shacky » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:49 pm

dinglecodcatcher wrote:I'm getting myself a new Yuki Q6 and I'm after a really good fixed spool casting reel to go with it.

Has anybody got one of these rods? If so what reels do they have to suit?

What distance casting reels do you recommend?

Hiya, Preston Ant who fishes with us has just acquired one of these rods, I had a few chucks with it before our BLAS match and was well impressed. His rod is teamed up with a Penn Surfblaster 8000 fixed spool reel. Though both he and myself would opt for the slightly smaller Penn Surfblaster 7000. It has 2 spools, one for braid and it holds 300m of 0.18mm (30lb) braid plus tapered shock leader just perfect.
These rods can put a bait a long way out and the tip is like a quiver :shock: :shock: :shock:
2017 Species Hunt....Dab, Whiting, Rockling, Plaice, Flounder, Dogfish, Bass, Tope, Sole, Tub Gurnard, Turbot.

dinglecodcatcher
Obsessed Poster

Postby dinglecodcatcher » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Yes mate the ones I've seen look amazing. Carnt wait to use them for flattie bashing and for the. Bass. I'm really interested in the shimano Ultegra but not familiar with them. Do you know what size shimano would be to match the 7000 surfblaster?

Preston Ant
BLAS Tackle Tart

Postby Preston Ant » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:32 am

Hi bud, as shaky said ive just got a yuki. Mine is the q6 tho. It is immense. At first i thought i would snap the tip as its very thin and spliced in. But ive never cast so far in my life! 2 hook clipped down with braid 5 oz awesome.
Shows up dabs farting on the baits!!
Can't wait for the flounder sessions then the hounds !!
You won't be disapointed!
Reels either a surf blaster in 7000 or an akios scora they look mint!
Enjoy mate
Ant
Species 2012
Whiting, Codling, Bass, Flounder,Dab,Plaice, L Weever, Dogfish, Huss, Starry Smoothhound, Thornback Ray, Pollock, Coalfish, Ballan Wrasse, Tope (pups), 3bd rockling, Mackerel, Sea Trout Blenny, Common Smooth Hound

Preston Ant
BLAS Tackle Tart

Postby Preston Ant » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Sorry q7!
Species 2012
Whiting, Codling, Bass, Flounder,Dab,Plaice, L Weever, Dogfish, Huss, Starry Smoothhound, Thornback Ray, Pollock, Coalfish, Ballan Wrasse, Tope (pups), 3bd rockling, Mackerel, Sea Trout Blenny, Common Smooth Hound

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:28 pm

Hello Ian, haven't used a Yuki , but heard plenty of good about them. I have various ultegras and they are great reels but for the last 18 months I have been mostly using affinity reels in the 7000 and 8000 sizes and rate them highly. I use both fixed spools and multis and each has there place.
I love the tapered spools on the affinity's and the bomb proof nature of the ultegras. Both recommended.

dinglecodcatcher
Obsessed Poster

Postby dinglecodcatcher » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Think I'm just gonna go for the ultegra they seem to be getting used a lot throughout the fishing circle and have the better responses. Cheers lads

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:33 am

Well after much thought about trying and from talking to a few of the East Coast lads I bit the bullet and bought a new Shimano Ultegra 10000 XSC yesterday from Gerrys. They price matched the reel for me and I got it for £135 as opposed the £169 advertised. A good saving I thought! I'm going to try it initially with 60lb power pro straight through and see how I get on . I'm going to match it with my Zippy HSM which has a soft enough tip to handle the braid and hopefully won't pull out in the tide.
First test tomorrow as I've got the rest of the week off work..

Return to “The Reel Room”