How to Disassemble Abu 6500 C3CT Mag Elite

Use this section for all your reel questions
spudgun
Reel Master

Postby spudgun » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:54 pm

blankman wrote:Is there an easy way of removing the C clip (Part 4490)? Top tunes too. 8)

Use a fine flat head screw driver to pri the C clip off using your finger to stop it pining off into the unknown. ;) :lol:

Even Mindless Violence Seems Boring Today.

Species caught this year:

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

Wildgoose
Super Poster

Re: How to Disassemble Abu 6500 C3CT Mag Elite

Postby Wildgoose » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:21 am

Can Someone Offer Me Some Advice Please?

I've got the older green version of the 6500 C3CT Mag Elite. When I bought it secondhand it had no brake blocks inside it (Pt Nos: 22565). I've just about got use to it now, with only the occasional nest at the start of a cast.

:? Is it worth me obtaining 2 brake blocks to further reduce the chance of a nest - on the ABU schematic layout it includes them but I've looked at Utube stripdowns and they are also missing ???
Wildgoose

spudgun
Reel Master

Postby spudgun » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:32 am

Wildgoose wrote:Can Someone Offer Me Some Advice Please?

I've got the older green version of the 6500 C3CT Mag Elite. When I bought it secondhand it had no brake blocks inside it (Pt Nos: 22565). I've just about got use to it now, with only the occasional nest at the start of a cast.

:? Is it worth me obtaining 2 brake blocks to further reduce the chance of a nest - on the ABU schematic layout it includes them but I've looked at Utube stripdowns and they are also missing ???

You put the brake blocks in like this.

Be careful they don't fall off when you put it back together. Search the forum for Pete Coogan. He'll sort you out with spares. I've put his contact details on here somewhere.

I tried using the reel without the blocks and ended up fluffing it all the time. The mags are not enough alone unless you've got a nice smooth cast.

For the time being you could make do with a very small bead or but a short length of wire insulation or a length off a cotton bud.
Even Mindless Violence Seems Boring Today.

Species caught this year:

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

Wildgoose
Super Poster

Postby Wildgoose » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Great info - I'll obtain some and get them fitted asap.

Thanks again.
Paul
Wildgoose

carl24bpool
Regular Poster

Postby carl24bpool » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:27 am

Possibly not the best solution but I normally take a piece of wire and remove the core, leaving a tube of insulation. I then cut the tube down with a blade to the right size for a brake block and use them.

For the price of the brakes you're probably as well buying them but I needed some quick so I improvised.

Also if youre doing okay without them, I'd suggest only fitting one of them to the spool and if you need more then use the mag brakes on a very low setting. The thing with the brake blocks is that you can't adjust them when youre out fishing and I'd advise against splitting your reel open on the beach. lol.
"I'm off fishing Doris!!!"

Return to “The Reel Room”